The Division of Animal Reproduction was established in fifth five year plan and come in complete existence on 1st August 1975 at IVRI Campus, Izatnagar and Dr S N Luktuke was the first Head of the Division. However, research in the field of animal reproduction was started much earlier when division was part of Animal Genetics and Breeding and there was separate lab for study on Artificial Insemination, Reproductive disorders and Post-graduate laboratory. In the year 1942- a pilot project was started at IVRI to study the feasibility of AI under the guidance of Dr P Bhattacharya with team consisting of Dr S S Pradhu, Dr D P Mukherjee, Dr S N Luktuke, Dr A Roy and Gr Ganjan Singh. In the year 1944, reproduction research chiefly focused on AI, various aspects of anoestrus and use of Pregnant Mare Serum to treat anestrus cattle and buffalo. The regular Master and Doctoral degree programme started in Animal reproduction in the year 1971 and 1973, respectively and National diploma in the year 1975.
Under the Operational Research Project, crossbreeding programme in cattle and buffalo using both liquid as well as frozen semen was started on 5th February 1977 at ORP Centre, Rithoura. In the year 1982, full fledge Germ-Plasm centre was established as integral unit of the Division for production of quality semen from elite bulls and research on various aspects on semen.
At present, division is having the responsibility of research, teaching, training and extension and has seven major laboratories. Besides that divisional scientists are also posted at LPM section and at Referral Veterinary Polyclinic to look after reproduction related activities. At RVP, all scientists and students of the division providing routine as well as 24 h emergency services to the animals presented at RVP. Divisional scientists are key in extension activities especially in animal health camps.