Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) was established on 9th December, 1889 as Imperial Bacteriological
Laboratory at Pune (Maharashtra) and was later shifted to Mukteswar in 1893. Subsequently, for large-scale
production of serum and vaccines, Izatnagar, Bareilly (UP) campus was established in 1913. The Institute was
gradually expanded to the present size with its headquarters at Izatnagar (UP) and campuses at Mukteswar,
Bengaluru, and regional stations at Palampur, Kolkata and Pune. Research conducted in the Institute in the areas of
animal health and production with multidisciplinary approach has paid rich dividends. The research contributions have
facilitated development of new biologicals used for diagnosis, prevention, cure and control of many devastating
animal & poultry diseases and increased production of milk, meat, eggs and other animal products. Improvement of
livestock and poultry with increased production potential and substitution of conventional feeds by cheaper agro-
industrial byproducts are other significant contributions. The post-graduate teaching and training programmes started
in 1900 at the Institute when training was imparted to field veterinarians, civil and army personnel on various aspects
of animal healthcare. Later, Associateship of IVRI and National Diploma courses were added as part of post graduate
teaching programme. However, with the establishment of Post-Graduate College of Animal Sciences in 1958
Postgraduate degree programmes also started. Presently the Institute has been providing quality education at Master
and Doctoral levels in 19 and 17 disciplines, respectively. The Institute has been conferred the status of Deemed to
be University with effect from 16th November, 1983 under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act (1956).
The first academic session as Deemed University started on 15th January, 1985. The Institute has been attracting a
large number of foreign students, especially from developing countries. Besides postgraduate degree courses, the
institute has also been conducting various short-term National and International Training Programmes, Short Courses
and Summer Institutes to make the professionals familiar with latest developments in Veterinary and Animal
Sciences. From the academic session 2015-16, the institute has initiated under-graduate programme in Veterinary
Sciences (BVSc & AH degree) with intake of 20 students. The Institute has also been recognized as the Centre for
Advanced Faculty Training in Animal Nutrition and Animal Physiology by ICAR, New Delhi. It has a well established
National Library of Veterinary Sciences, Bioinformatics Centre, ARIS Cell, Animal and Fodder Farms. The Institute
which is spread over an area of 440.50 Acres, located at a distance of 258 km from New Delhi, and about 8 km from
Bareilly Jn. and 1 km from Izatnagar Railway Station. The administrative control of the Institute is vested with the
Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi.
Authorities ("Deemed to be University")
- The Director is the Principal Executive academic officer of the Institute and exercises powers similar to the Vice-Chancellors of other Universities in University affairs.
- The Joint Director (Academic) cum Dean, is responsible for the organization and implementation of the teaching programmes and coordination of post-graduate studies and research in all disciplines of the Deemed University.
- The Registrar is responsible for maintenance of all records related to performance of the students, assistance in admissions and for establishment matters and general administration in the Deemed University.